Monday, September 16, 2013

Just hanged out

We were planning on going to the Ramen Event in Torrance today but my friends and I heard too many negative reviews regarding the event so we decided against it.



Instead, we just hanged out in Torrance.




First we went to a soba/udon restaurant called Ichimiann Bamboo Garden. I got the tanuki soba there for $8 and it tasted great. However, I thought the amount was too little to be worth $8. Why is soba so~ expensive in the US....



After that we went to Mitsuwa to buy some drinks at the market. Mitsuwa was packed today! My friends speculate that it might have to do with the Ramen Event.



For the final stop, we went to Book-Off in Gardena. I went there few weeks ago so I wasn't expecting to find anything, but I was pleasantly surprised to find 7 volumes of "Ushio to Tora" that I was missing. I was also surprised that the '50% off comic sets' sale was still going on. I'm certain that few weeks ago, the employee told me that the sale was only for that week...



Hmmm... now that I think about it, maybe I should have bought some of the comic sets. One series in particular is "Violence Jack" by Go Nagai. They had the entire 18 remastered volumes for the original price of $6.50 for each volume, which goes down to $3.25 due to the sale. I loved his "Devil Man" manga series but it wasn't like I was a fan of his other series so I decided against the purchase. Also, I didn't know a whole lot about "Violence Jack" in the first place. However, I learned after I returned home that "Violence Jack" is related to "Devil Man" and is considered by many of his fans as a 'must read' series so I'm deeply regretting my decision.



The other comic set is the first 33 volumes of "Berserk" by Kentaro Miura. I don't regret not buying this series as much because I'm still not certain whether I'll really like the series or not. I've only read the later volumes many years ago and even though I remember it being entertaining, I didn't feel the intense yearning to read more. I am still interested in the series so maybe I'll just read it in-store and decide from there.



One complaint that I have is that Book-Off had the entire series of "Steel Ball Run" by Hirohiko Araki but they were unable to make it into a comic set. The employee explained to me that the comic sets are made if there is abundant stock left for each volume and if the series is not so popular. Because "Steel Ball Run" is still popular and Book-Off doesn't have many of its volumes in stock, they were unable to make it into a comic set. It's a shame really, because I would have bought it instantly if it was....



I ended up not drawing again today.... I'm definitely going to take care of that tomorrow!
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment