Monday, October 28, 2013

New York Comic Con

1. I attended New York Comic Con this past weekend, with a press pass. I had a great time even though I didn't hit any panels. I wanted to get into the screening for the third "Berserk" movie, but sadly I didn't make it in. But I got to meet up with some friends, meet some creators I admire... and creators I hold nothing but contempt for. For example, I can confirm that Rob Liefeld does indeed possess feet... I wasn't sure.



2. Christopher Jones, who drew the third issue of "Gargoyles: Bad Guys" and the "Young Justice" comic book drew me a beautiful Demona. I already have a Mike McKone Demona and a Greg Guler Demona. I do have this insane hope to one day have every great comic book artist draw her. I'd love a Mark Bagley Demona, or if Hell freezes over, a John Romita Demona.




3. I met Bruce Boxleitner at Comic Con. He was doing a signing, and I stood on line for over an hour (and witnessedthe Green Power Ranger (I don't know his name, please don't tell me) hug Hulk Hogan) to meet TV's best captain. I called him that and he pointed and said "Shatner's down there." Very nice man. I've wanted to meet him for almost twenty years, so it was great to finally get the chance.



4. I cosplayed. It wasn't something I planned to do, but I had the clothes in my closet. A black business suit with a black shirt and black tie, and a black cashmere overcoat I had inherited from my father... so, last minute cosplay as Crowley, a crossroads demon and the King of Hell. Is it cosplaying when this is the type of thing I'd wear any way? I don't know, but I had fun. Yes, I'm a dork.



5. I didn't get to see Vanessa Marshall, and found out she was there after the fact.



So, I missed meeting up with Mary Jane Watson's voice actress while dressed up as the King of Hell. There's a "One More Day" joke in there, I'm sure of it.



6. Pondering the future of this blog. I seem to get the most comments when reviewing a certain show I refuse to watch another second of. I admit, I've even considered closing it since my interests don't seem to coincide with my audience's interests these days. But I will at least finish up the Tarantino reviews, I know I'll be reviewing "Thor: The Dark World" next month, and the second Hobbit movie. After that, who knows.



7. I've found that "Game of Thrones" is a very hard sell to other geeks, and I'm not sure why. This isn't only the best geek show of the last five years, it's probably the best show of the last five years, period. Three seasons in, and it might be in the top half of my all time Top Ten. The writing is spectacular. The acting is phenomenal. Everything about it is a home run... why can't I sell people on this one?



8. Planning a Top Twenty-Five Live Action TV Villains entry and video. It's not finished being compiled and ranked yet, but feel free to toss suggestions at me, in case there's someone I haven't considered.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment